Philpop 2014 Top 12: A belated discovery

While everything else was drowned out by The Voice Kids Philippines finals last Saturday night, the 3rd Philippine Popular Music Festival (Philpop) was happening elsewhere at the Meralco Theater where 12 finalists competed for the Php 1million top plum.

SpinnrPhilPop 2

I watched neither of the two shows but my online meandering led me to an article citing that the winning song "Salbabida" (by composer Jungee Marcelo) was interpreted by Kyla, who's making a comeback of sorts in the local music scene. It got me interested because I kinda like Kyla's voice, so I watched the video, which led to many other clicks until I was done with all 12 songs.

While Salbabida (a life buoy or floatation device) to me deserved the win, there were a couple other nice songs in the list, and it was particularly refreshing to see a lot of fast-paced entries in the mix. I don't know what Philpop's criteria were but here are a few of my personal picks (in no particular order):

Qrush On You
Composers: Knowa Lazarus and Flava Matikz of of Q-York
Interpreters: Jay-R, Elmo Magalona and Q-York
My favorite of the bunch not because it has some profound meaning or anything but because it's downright catchy. I love the song's feel-good melody and vibe and I'm reminded here that Jay-R is a really good singer.


Song On A Broken String
Composers: Jude Gitamondoc and Therese Villarante
Interpreter: Nicole Laurel Asensio
I have no idea who this singer is but I like the raspiness in her voice. It doesn't hurt that she's good-looking and sexy, too. As for the song, I like the tempo and the arrangement.


Awit Mo'y Nandito Pa
Composer: Toto Sorioso
Interpreters: Aldrich Talonding and James Bucong
It's a sad song when you really think about it but the uptempo effectively balances out the melodrama. Together with the simple guitar work and the kid's pure and innocent vocals, this is a really nice song. It won first runner-up.


No Girlfriend Since Break (NGSB)
Composer: Davey Langit
Interpreter: Luigi D' Avola
Never mind the unimpressive vocals and the music video that looks like a school project because it's a cute and fun song. Okay, watching them dance to the chorus is also fun.


Hangout Lang
Composers: Allan Feliciano and Isaac Garcia
Interpreters: Duncan Ramos and Young JV
Another silly but arguably fun song, this one's got a video that's even more fun and kulit. I mean, "Dala ka ng foods?"


Salbabida
Composer: Jungee Marcelo
Interpreter: Kyla
Of course, how could I not like the winning song? Nice melody, meaningful lyrics, and great interpretation by Kyla.


Other notes
There's also the heartbreaking Babalikan Mo Rin Ako but interpreter Nikki Gil pretty much stayed with the melody all throughout. I mean, I wish she'd taken more risks like Kyla did with her song, at least during the last chorus repetition because both song and arrangement were just begging for it. Nonetheless, she's really good in the video acting-wise.

Another catchy and feel-good song is Kung Akin Ang Langit, which, for some reason reminds me of a McDonald's commercial. Anyway, I hated how they made that girl hold a guitar in the video when she never really played it, or even pretended to play it.

Dear Heart, sung by Kiana Valenciano, is also quite catchy but probably just not my cup of tea. Maybe it's the lyrics, to which girls can relate more.

Surprise, but I didn't know Tom Rodriguez (of My Husband's Lover fame) had a nice soft voice. Unfortunately he was stuck in a rather boring ballad in Langit Umaawit.

It was also my first time listening to Thor Dulay (of The Voice Philippines) and I loved his voice. Too bad that voice was wasted in the flat and uninspired The Only One.

Ditto for Kris Lawrence, though his song Torpe was adjudged 2nd runner-up. So maybe it's just me.

*****************
You can check out the full Philpop 2014 Top 12 playlist here. A physical commemorative CD, on the other hand, is also available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRAGRANCE | Green Cedar EDT by Bench: An environmentally-conscious offering from the Philippines' premier retail brand

Man of style: Steven Tyler